According to the American Automobile Association Travel Forecast, 48.7 million people will travel 50 miles or more over the holidays. If you are among the travelers this holiday season, be sure to make it a smooth and safe road trip.
Although the fuel prices travelers will pay are slightly higher than last year, those prices will be the second cheapest we’ve seen in nearly a decade. According to the AAA forecast:
“Today’s national average price for a gallon of gasoline is $2.16, 11 cents more than the average price around this time last year ($2.05). Most U.S. drivers will pay the second-cheapest gas prices since 2008, when the national average was $1.85.”
Holiday road trips can be a fun part of the season’s festivities, as long as you are prepared and have a safe road trip. Whether you are driving home or to another special destination for the holidays, here are a few preparation tips:
- Be sure your vehicle is ready for the journey with a service check. Things to inspect include: battery, brakes, wipers, lights, oil, coolant, fluids, and tire pressure.
- Download an app like GasBuddy to help you find the best gas prices along the way.
- Be sure your maps are current, whether it’s updating your GPS or getting the good old paper kind from a gas station.
- When packing the car, you may need to remove things you normally keep in the trunk in order to make room for gifts and your luggage. Just be sure not to leave behind your roadside emergency items such as jumper cables or a folding shovel.
- If you are traveling with kids, make sure they have something to do to pass the time. You don’t necessarily need a DVD player or a tablet to keep kids occupied. There are plenty of classic travel games for you and the little ones to enjoy together.
Whatever your plans are, let’s make it a safe and happy holidays! Don’t forget to stop by our shop so we can check your vehicle.